Tuesday 12 April 2011

Model Evaluation / Appraisal

In the Order in which my models were created:

Model 1:

Tarot Cards:






The cards were the first model I had ever created using the 3Ds max software.

Although, they are obviously quite a simple model to look back on now, they were very important in the development of my ideas. I feel for my first model they were a very good place to start.

The cards created an insight into texture and the potential of the medium early on. They were also an important vehicle in the theme of my design, helping to create the underlying mystique/ santeria element of my animation.

Technically quite simple, though this model provided a good platform to learn a couple of techniques early on; multi/sub object material texturing and the use of a chamfer box.

I'm very pleased with how this model turned out. They became a key element of my animation and work well aesthetically.


Model 2:

Walther PPK:





This was quite a challenging model for me to create. Given more time I would still do a lot to improve it.

I do like the smooth style of it, I deliberately attempted to try and keep that element of style while creating the model, somewhat emulating the style of the era and the Bond computer games that I grew up playing.

I spent a lot of time on this model, as initially I over complicated it. I assigned too many segments and had to edit it a lot to eliminate a lot of stretching.

I attempted to add texture to the handle, I just couldn't really get it to look right, when I applied texture it made didn't really work in context with the rest of the model, so eventually I made the decision to abandon the texture at this phase. Perhaps I will develop it further now I have more experience.

I do like how the model works visually, though I admit it could be improved with a little more detail in order to make it more realistic.

This model helped me learn the concept of modelling and allowed me to understand the concept of the space, so I'm quite grateful for that experience progression.

Model 3:

Snake:





A few techniques were attempted while trying to create the snake element. I really like the use of texture in this model and I think the materials selected are quite effective and realistic, especially the underbelly.

The snake became more of a "theme" item rather then a key object in the animation, I wanted to use it as it is a recurring element from the movie. Initially I had different ideas of how it could be incorporated more effectively, like sticking a knife through the snake on the table etc... Though in the final version I just allowed the snake to travel across the table.

Using bones in the snake was quite a difficult effect to achieve, it took a lot of edits to get it "nearly" right. I don't know if I was working with the bone technique entirely correctly but I persevered. The movement of the snake was changed a lot. It goes to show how difficult a potentially simple animation like the movement of a snake "slither" can be quite complex.

Again I suppose the final result is visually a little cartoon like, which could possibly be improved with further work?

Model 4:

Voodoo Doll:





The Voodoo doll was something that I wanted to create for again for the mystique/ santeria element of the animation.

I have always been interested in the concept of voodoo and it is a prominent theme throughtout the Live and Let Die movie, so I attempted to create that aura. Hopefully it helps for the final decoration and adds some detail to my room scene.

I really like this model, it is possibly my favourite. I compromised a bit of the detail that I would have liked to add, simply because it is a background item rather than a core model.

I think the buttons look great and the texture works quite effectively. I would have liked to have improved the detail in the threading, but could try that in the future.

It's a little bit of a shame that it has become merely decorative. It was a reasonably simple model to produce, again perhaps I have been a little reserved in my modelling, but it is a learning curve and I am quite happy with the success of this model.

I could have potentially made this model a little darker or scarier, maybe he looks a little too friendly. The pins could be made more realistic. I did work on the specular levels, but feel they still could be worked on a tiny more to become more authentic.

Model 5:

Knife:





The knife was the fastest model I made throught this module. It was literally made as a means to attach the doll to the wall. It was simple and served a purpose. I didn't want to spend too much time on it as it was not really going to be seen.

In retrospect I probably could have added more detail to it, though it wasn't necessary for this animation.


Model 6:

Room Scene:





The room scene was created from simply creating a large floor space and adding walls. It was made considering that my final animation was going to be in the style of a 1st person shooter, so I deliberately made it open plan.

Textures were added to the floor and walls in an attempt to represent a similar room sourced from the movie.

I added the "day of the dead" skull artwork and voodoo doll again to continue the santeria theme.

I re-created the table and chairs several times in order to try and achieve my platform for the base of my idea, I made candlesticks to provide another visual dynamic.

I imported all of my models into this space and began to plan my animation structure from within this environment.

Although possibly a little safe, it is quite a reasonable representation of the room taken from the movie, so I am quite pleased with it. I suppose given more time I could have incorporated more details to add, but I wanted to focus on the artwork, the candlesticks, table and chairs as I felt they were all important elements for my final idea.

Model 7:

Hands:







The hand was the hardest element to model. I attempted to model this item several times before I had any success at all. Though when I did finally achieve this result I felt that my confidence within the 3ds max platform grew.

In my earlier attempts I was using far too many segments, and my polygons were getting stretched. The model became far too complicated. I sat back, started it again from scratch, scaled it down to very few segments, and began to pull and drag the vertices. It just started to click.

I feel that this model really helped me understand the concept of modelling and improved my skills and patience levels immensely.

I made a copy of the original hand, and applied bends to the fingers in order to adapt the hand so that it would be able to hold the gun effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment