Monday 28 February 2011

Asset 3: Snake

Another recurring theme in 'Live and Let Die' is the snake.

Two different techniques were used while creating my snake asset.

Initially I selected the spline modifier, and drew a line in the rough form of a snake, I then used the loft technique to create the body of the snake from the spline.

This technique worked well as an effecient and quick way to create the snake body and shape, though when it came to trying to add material to the loft I continually got an error while attempting to add texture to the loft. I'm not really sure why this kept happening, so I decided to create a second snake in a different way.

On the second attempt, I created a cylinder shape, converted to an editable poly and bevelled the front and back end of the cylinder in order to try and achieve the pointy tail and to flatten out the head a little.

Then using soft selection I manipulated the bendy shape of the snake body, moving parts of the body left and right a little to attempt to give the snake a more realistic look.

I added two small black spheres as the eyes and positioned them accordingly, and also drew a line in the shape of a tongue again using the spline technique and coloured it red.

I didnt have any difficulty in adding texture to the second snake, so again I used the multi sub object technique to texture the snake.

I imported a bitmap of a snake skin texture, to add to the object, then I selected a seperate texture for the underbelly of the snake and coloured it yellow, while colouring the rest of the snake green.

2 Snakes:

Red Snake - Loft Technique, Green Snake - Bevelled Cylinder




Green Snake:






Underbelly Texture:



Texture Example Top/Bottom:




My Snake:



No comments:

Post a Comment