Monday 28 March 2011

Hand Asset

Hand:

Creating a hand proved quite difficult. I had to make about three different attempts at a hand before I was close to being happy with the object.

Initially my first design was far too complicated, I had put too many segments in and my polygons were getting stretched and lost inside each other. For my second attempt I tried to think more about how the hand would actually look and tried to extrude the fingers in segments so that the polygons would join more effectively at the bends in the fingers. Though again, the model wasnt looking right and was too blocky, again when the mesh smooth or turbosmooth teqnique was appliued to the object, it came out very lumpy and had had too many indents in it where the polygons had obviously got a little twisted within each other.


Second Hand Attempt:



For my final attempt at the hand I imported a plane as an example to work to and started with a small box. I made it with very few segments, one along the top face and four through the main body of the shape so that i would be able to extrude four fingers from the shape.

Basically the model was made by extruding the fingers in segments to the joints in the fingers, which grabbing selected vertices to model the hand - trying to keep to the hand shape, pulling and manipulating the vertices to keep to the required shape of the hand, eventually the shape looked effective so i added a turbosmooth modifier to the object to smooth it out. A skin tone texture was added to try and give the appeal of skin.

Modelling 3rd Hand Attempt:



Full Hand Model:



(I made this model in much smaller easier to manage segments, and was able to extrude the fingers much more effectively in doing so, I feel that I kept to the shape of the hand really well and this was a much improved model from my earlier efforts.)


Final Hand with Turbosmooth and Skin Texture Applied:



I still need to add more detail to the hand, but at this stage I am pleased that I now have this asset to work with for my animation. I will aim to concentrate on the further detail once I have progressed a little further with my final piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment